Sunday, June 19, 2011


Many years have passed and still passing, people are into celebrating and commemorating every special day and holiday of the year. Whether it is a Valentine’s Day or Christmas, that day would be the most special day to everyone. It is highly distinct because of an air present in it. Ii is unrecognizable but it contains something. You can see people rushing around buying some gifts. You can see them in their favorite suits. What makes it so special when it is just the same day as yesterday? The same sun that rises and sets. The same ticking of the clock. What makes it so special then?

This question keeps rushing in my head as I saw fathers being hailed and honored by their children and wives every Father’s Day. Flowers, cakes and delicious foods around them along with broad smiles and applauses of their loved ones. How grateful are they upon receiving precious gifts and sweet kisses from their children. How happy are they when their wives embrace them tightly. Watching them I could feel the tears rolling down my cheeks. How lucky are the children with fathers like that?

In my entire years of existence, I could hardly remember one unforgettable day I spent with my father. Nothing comes to my memory when I forced myself to think. Nothing. Only vague descriptions of what my father was like when he was still alive. Did I ever say to my father how thankful I was of bringing me to life in this complex world? Did I ever say I love you “papa” to him? I can’t remember any.

I was away from my father and my family for five years. I went to college in a different place away from home. When father’s day came, I used to send simple text messages to him to greet. Nothing special. Nothing new. I could hardly feel the true essence of it. I just did it because others did. To me, it was just the same customary practices handed down from one generation to the next.

But now, it came to my senses how I missed those days. How I missed the times to be spent supposedly with my father. My conscience told me how cruel, wicked and selfish I was for depriving the real feelings my father supposed to feel every father’s day. Now, he was gone. There is no way of saying “thank you” and “I love you” deep-heartedly to him. He cannot hear anymore. He cannot feel anymore. My tears rolled another bucket. I cried. It was like I was slapped with the truth.

Father’s day is indeed special. It is special to some who really knows the real meaning of it. It is one way of saying how their sacrifices are being acknowledged. “Happy father’s day” greeting is not just mere words. It is not a mere greeting. It is the words that contain underlying meaning of how one could utter the immense feeling and gratitude they feel for their fathers more than just saying “I love you.”#

1 comment: